Tuesday 12 June 2012

A PERSONAL TRIBUTE


30 years ago today, I lost one of the best friends that I had in the Navy.
Today I feel I have to put a personal tribute on this site to 
Cook Brian Malcolm (Jock)

A little bit about my good friend Brian Malcolm.
His first posting after Pembroke (Chef's training) was to Heron. We became good friends and had many a good run ashore, especially on market days in Yeovil.
We both liked cider and the number of times we stumbled in to a taxi to take us back to base were countless.
For a while we were in the same watch in the Wardroom. Any spare time whilst duty was spent timber shifting on the Uckers board. Never an argument, always up for the laugh as all good cookie boys are.
He was a crap a dancer at the bop as me, but it didn't matter as it was all about laughing.
I got posted to HMS Newcastle, and eventually when Jock got to Pompey and joined the Glamorgan, we got together and had further runs ashore.
I can't remember the date of the last time I met Jock. But I do remember our last run ashore. Cox's bar, Park Tavern, then Jo's school of naval dancing. 
I joined the Southampton and when I heard the Glamorgan had been hit, I prayed for good news, but 36 hours later I heard the news was the saddest possible.

He remains on patrol in the South Atlantic.
Miss you buddy. A real oppo!
My round when we meet again!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al, I have never met you, probably never will, I only read your blog after seeing the link on the Cherries site, but this has really touched me. This guy obviously meant a lot to you and your loss is beautifully articulated. IK

Al and Marie said...

Thank you kindly.
Old shipmates are not forgotten.